Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Wakefield City


Sharlston Rovers A

Tries : Tony Palmer, Sam Whitehouse, Chris Shaw, Phil Hill, Paul Cooper, None
Goals : Phil Hill 5
  • Wakefield ARL Physiowise Cup Final
  • Thursday 23rd April 2009
  • Ref : Paul Gidney

Rovers bring back Physiowise Cup

Jubilant Rovers with cup

Jubilant Rovers with cup

Sharlston Rovers ‘A’ .. 30
Wakefield City .. 14

Wakefield ARL Physiowise Cup Final on Thursday 23rd April 2009
at The Chris Moyles Stadium, Featherstone

Sharlston Rovers ‘A’ are the first team to win the Wakefield ARL Physiowise cup after a pulsating victory at the Chris Moyles Stadium where Wakefield City fought throughout the second half to catch up the 18-10 half time score line.

It was Rovers who crossed for the important first score with evergreen captain Tony Palmer backing up Hill after putting him through a gap, Phil Hill added his first of 4 successful conversions. The confidence seemed to spur Rovers into control of the game as they attacked down the famous Featherstone slope as Stuart Bailey, Sam Whitehouse and Stan Smith put their side in the right position to improve their tally. Rovers used the flanks well as they supplied Ashley Kavanagh 3 times to go over in the corner but the young winger was denied on all 3 occasions by the officials.

The disappointment didn’t flatten Rovers confidence as they continued to work hard with full back Robert Simpson returning well and Cooper and Shaw helping the forwards out with some strong carries from their own half but it was City’s discipline around the play of the ball that gave Sharlston the opportunity for the next try. Several steady drives to the sticks set up for a well rehearsed play that saw exciting prospect Sam Whitehouse hit a fantastic line that put him over the line almost untouched.

Wakefield City addressed their discipline and were soon rewarded as Dave Simms took the ball in well before lynchpin hooker Ben Modley supplied strong running center Shaun Smith with the opportunity to reduce the arrears, Modley adding the conversion to pull back within 6 points. From the return set City looked dangerous as scrum half Chris McDonald caused problems for Rovers and a flowing moving put Paul Annakin in at the corner with the kick proving too much from touchside.

With Rovers lead reduced to only 2 points the side knew they needed more of an advantage to defend Wakefield’s robust side coming down the hill and winger Chris Shaw took on that campaign singlehandedly racing 60 meters for a jubilant score, Hill converting to take an 8 point lead into the interval.

The half time team talk from coach Trinity legend Jonny Thompson seemed to give City a boost for the start of second period as minutes in Smith running strong down the right hand side crossed for his second try to bring his side to within 4 points.

A neck injury to Sharlston hooker Phil Golec meant a 10 minute stoppage while he was moved safely to ambulance staff before being taken to Wakefield Spinal Unit for assessment. An overnight stay and day of tests found no serious injuries and was allowed home the following evening.

The Rovers side showed great character to remain composed and when the match restarted they looked determined to not let the lead slip in testimony to their team mate. Minutes later on the hour mark Selwyn Robinson Memorial Man of Match Phil Hill too the game by the scruff of the neck and forced his way over from acting half. Despite the 8 point lead the game was by no means over as Wakefield City looked strong attacking down the slope with Simms, Finan and McDonald causing some real problems.

Against the run of play as a loose ball went to ground Rovers center Paul Cooper picked up in his 10 meters and set off in field up the hill, several City players gave chase and by the half way line looked as though they had gained but an injection of pace put the crowd to their feet as the tired legs just had enough to make it under the sticks for a superb score. With 8 minutes left and a 14 point lead Rovers looked like they’d done enough and in the dying seconds Sharlston posted an extra 2 points with a penalty conversion to tick the seconds down to close a very entertaining game between two committed sides.

7' Rovers TRY #10 Tony Palmer GOAL #7 Phil Hill 6-0
20' Rovers TRY #12 Sam Whitehouse GOAL #7 Phil Hill 12-0
30' City TRY #3 Shaun Smith GOAL #9 Ben Modley 12-6
33' City TRY #5 Paul Annakin 12-10
36' Rovers TRY #5 Chris Shaw GOAL #7 Phil Hill 18-10


54' City TRY #3 Shaun Smith 18-14
62' Rovers TRY #7 Phil Hill 22-14
72' Rovers TRY #4 Paul Cooper GOAL #7 Phil Hill 28-14
79' Rovers PEN GOAL #7 Phil Hill 30-14

Selwyn Robinson Memorial Men of the Match Award : Sharlston #7 Phil Hill

Attendance : 300

Referee : Paul Gidney Touch Judges : John Lowery, Phil Boot

Sharlston Rovers ‘A’ Team : 1 Robert Simpson, 2 Ashley Kavanagh, 3 Paul Cooper, 4 Lee Kelly, 5 Chris Shaw, 6 Andy Gallagher, 7 Phil Hill, 8 Richard Pajor, 9 Phil Golec, 10 Tony Palmer, 11 Stuart Bailey, 12 Sam Whitehouse, 13 Stan Smith, 14 Simon Reville, 15 James Heath, 16 Mick Haigh, 17 Jamie Lawson.

Wakefield City Team : 1 Damien Williamson, 2 Andy Shepheard, 3 Shaun Smith, 4 Dean Hunter, 5 Paul Annakin, 6 Lee Southward, 7 Chris McDonald, 8 Mark Whittaker, 9 Ben Modley, 10 Rhys Dickson, 11 Chris Horner, 12 Dave Sims, 13 Andy Finan, 14 Cain McVittie, 15 Mark Carlton, 16 Joel Passley, 17 Luke Cotton.