Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Sharlston Rovers


Hunslet Old boys

Tries : Gareth Davies, Craig Miles x3, None, Keith Brook, Geoff Hick, Andy Booth
Goals : Chris Hill 6
  • Yorkshire Cup Quarter Finals
  • Saturday 18th October 2008
  • Ref : Steve Addy

Rovers one step closer to Final

Hat-trick Hero Miles

Hat-trick Hero Miles

Sharlston Rovers .. 40
Hunslet Old Boys .. 16

Utmost Insurance BARLA Yorkshire Cup - Quarter Final

Sharlston Rovers are through to the final four of the Yorkshire cup competition in the quest go one better than last year where they finished runners up to Queens. The progression to the semi stages was well earnt against rough Leeds outfit Hunslet Old Boys who at times played some good rugby.

It was the old Yorkshire league foes who struck first blood when Carl Briggs didnít hesitate to post the first points of the day when gifted a chance at goal when Rovers were judged to hold on for too long.
By 7 minutes the visitors had increased their lead to 6 when Hunslet were gifted an early try when a cross field kick was spilt into the hands of the old boys wingman.

Like throughput the start of the season Rovers have gifted the opposition an early lead but like previous games this gave them a spark to play some excellent rugby with Gareth Davies latching onto kick into the corner from Thomas Wandless.

Rovers edged infront with one of the best individual tries seen for many seasons, with captain Craig Miles showing pure determination after returning a dropout from in his own half and smashing through several defenders.

Hunslet drew back level only a few minutes later when Rovers were penalised for being offside on the last tackle, Brigg once again posted the extras.

4 minutes before the interval Rovers edged the lead as Craig Miles went over to complete his brace scoring under the sticks from close range, Chris Hill added the goal to enter the break 14-8 in front.

Expecting another tight half Rovers elected to add a little more air between the sides when Keith Brook was hit high, Hill added the penalty conversion. Keith Brook off the bench was involved in the next try which followed swiftly when Dale Ferris returned the kick off and shrugged off half the opposition before getting out the killer offload to Brook who kept the legs and finish the length of the field play, Hill successfully goaling.

Only 6 minutes later Rovers were in again as the pace started to tell on the Leeds outfit, Craig Miles completing his hat trick with another red rag to a bull charge skittling several defenders, Hill again goaling to go 20 points clear.

On the hour mark front rower Andy Booth punctured the defence on a 20m charge and Geoff Hick on his shoulder finished under the sticks. Hill adding his 5th goal. Booth not content with only an assist showed his strength to power over from the tap despite the attention of several defenders, Hill goaling to round up to 40.

A lapse in concentration in the remaining 4 minutes gifted Hunslet 2 easy unconverted tries but Roversí ball was already in the bag for the semi final draw.

Rovers have drawn a testing tie in the semi final where they will travel to Drighlington on 1st November. This week Rovers will host Bradford based Queensbury who yet to register a win this season, Kick off 2.30pm.

Youtube Highlights