Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Sharlston Rovers



Tries : Nick Taylor, Gareth Whitehead, Danny Field, Tom Carrol, Brendon Gibbons
Goals : Gareth Whitehead, Julien Lasserre 2
  • Pennine Premier
  • Saturday 6th December 2014
  • Ref : Les Holland

Rovers comeback for Queens victory

Man of the Match

Man of the Match

Sharlston Rovers got off to a nightmare start as they looked to bounce back from last weekends Yorkshire cup exit disappointment. Once again Rovers found themselves missing key players through injury such as Saville, Bingham, Gamble, Olpherts, Wandless, Saynor and Crowther. Captain Scott Glassell was also unavailable still touring South Africa with the English Lions.

The visitors Queens started brightly and were 15 points ahead by the half hour, two quick fire tries from centre Joe Phipps and a goal and try for form man Aaron Henry cemented their sides opening.

Ryan Robinson also added a drop goal to give his side a 3 try lead. With Queens firmly in the driving seat Rovers needed to start completing in the difficult handling conditions. The introduction of Danny Field and Geoff Hick from the bench gave Rovers some added go forward and soon in were enjoying spells of possession close to Queens line.

The hosts eventually broke through 5 minutes before the interval when Adam Jones spotted a numerical advantage on the blind and put centre Nick Taylor in at the corner with a superb conversion from Gareth Whitehead to narrow the deficit. Gaz Whitehead brought his side within 5 points moments before the final whistle when he finished a flowing move to score out wide.

Ten minutes into the second half debutant Brendon Gibbins went on a barnstorming run to wrestle his way over but the goal was unsuccessful and Rovers had battled to within a point of the visitors. Rovers looked to be in the ascendency and looked much more confident in attack that the first 40 minutes.

Tom Carrol in it interchange hooker made his mark on the game to give the hosts the lead for the first time of the afternoon. French International exchange player Julien Lasserre slotted over the conversion and Rovers now lead 20-15. On the hour mark Aaron Henry proved to be elusive in attack and managed to escape the attention of several Rovers defenders to score and important try, crucially the conversion was unsuccessful and Rovers held a 1 point lead.

Rovers managed to increase the buffer 5 minutes later when Danny Field returning from injury barraged through the defence and Lasserre added the extras. Despite Queens extra efforts they couldn’t get through as Rovers locked down in defence to seal a memorable comeback. Man of the Match was Danny Glassel who helped out his fellow packmen with some clearing runs.