Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge



Sharlston Rovers A

Tries : Chris Hill, Matthew Lingard
Goals : Matthew Lingard
  • Pennine Division 1
  • Saturday 18th October 2014
  • Ref : Andy Kitson

First points on the road for Rovers A

Chris Hill was on the score sheet

Chris Hill was on the score sheet

Siddal .. 8
Sharlston Rovers A .. 10

Pennine Division One

Rovers got back to winning ways with a superb backs to the wall effort against a tough spirited Siddal outfit. After an impressive display against the 1st team last week, Rovers took the field full of confidence and because they were missing several regulars the youngsters knew a good start was important.

Taking the game to the hosts early Rovers went close through Kendall before Rovers had a try disallowed when Rasool was harshly deemed to be in an offside position when his acrobatic take of Richardsonís kick saw him cross the line. Both sides were tough in defence and a try fest was never going to happen with chances few and far between although Rovers looked most likely to score in the early exchanges.

Rovers were 1st on the score sheet after 15 minutes when Hill intercepted a wild pass on the halfway line and he raced to the line with a number of home defenders trailing behind him in slow motion it seemed, Matt Lingard successful with the conversion.

The game settled for a while and again defence was to the fore with Shillabeer, Hill and Kelly leading the way for the Rovers well supported by Palmer and Kaye, with Richardson, Scott and Simpson looking good with the ball in hand for the visitors.

Both sides had a few chances with Clayton and Pearson going close for Rovers before Siddal reduced the deficit when in the middle of a good 10 minute period for the home side they crashed over out wide as the Rovers defence was stretched by some intense pressure on 35 minutes. Rovers had the better of the last 5 minutes leading to half time but crucially picked a couple of injuries up which would stretch them to the limit in the later stages of the match.

Roverís second period defensive display was outstanding as they withstood the expected early onslaught from the home side, but just as they looked to have weathered the storm the young side conceded a try, again too far out for the conversion as Siddal took the lead for the 1st time 0n 58 minutes.

Rovers kept plugging away and as the game wore on they patiently inched their way nearer and nearer the home line with every set they completed. Hunter was unlucky not to score as was Scott when he was stopped on the line, with Kelly just inches short after his 15 yard rumble to the line before the pure determination from Shillabeer on his 20 yard run to the line saw him crash over carrying three home defenders to give Rovers a slender 2 point advantage going into the final 10 minutes.

Siddal threw everything at the Sharlston line in a desperate attempt to salvage the match but the young Rovers side were in no mood to let the points slip away this time with some excellent line speed and some frantic scrambling defence by Huskins and Whitehouse keeping the home side at bay as Rovers played smart for a change and wound the clock down to the final whistle.

Despite picking up a number of injuries Rovers will be well pleased with this effort as they showed they can play it tough when required as they ground out this excellent result.

Best for the Rovers side were Kendall, Kelly and Richardson with Shillabeer taking the Motor City motorists centre sponsored man of the match award for an excellent effort on the day.

Rovers will be looking for a similar performance in the next game as they take on Castleford based rivals Cutsyke Raiders at home.

Players meet at 1-00pm at the club house, 2-30pm kick off