Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Sharlston Rovers



Tries : Gareth Davies x3, Carl Saville, Danny Richardson
Goals : Andrey Zdobnikov, Tommy Malyan 2
  • Wakefield Unison Presidents Cup Semi Final
  • Saturday 5th February 2011
  • Ground : Back ot wall
  • Ref : Steve Presley

Rovers on track for 9th succesive Presidents cup title

Davies back in blistering form

Davies back in blistering form

Sharlston Rovers .. 26
Upton .. 20

Wakefield ARL UNISON Presidents Cup Semi Final

Sharlston Rovers remain on track for a record 9 consecutive Wakefield ARL Unison Presidents cup titles. The Weeland road club booked their place in the final but await their opponents with quarter finals Westgate vs Crigglestone and also Crofton vs Ackworth to played before the semi finalists are known.

Rovers progressed into the final with a rough and tough victory over an enthusiastic Upton side who took the lead 10 minutes in. A testing high kick spilt on the line allowed winger Sam Parkin to dive on the lost ball in the corner to open the visitors account. The hosts were further shell shocked when sloppy marking allowed Richie Jacques over from close quarters again the conversion attempt unsuccessful.

Rovers began to get into the game and by the 20 minute mark the hosts were back within 2 points as Gareth Davies reacted first to a drop ball, Tommy Malyan converting the effort. Sharlston took the lead just 2 minutes later when with the next opportunity with ball in hand Carl Saville bust over from acting half as the conditions deteriated into the mud.

Andy Booth opened up his return from injury performance with a no-nonse spell which put Rovers in position to extend their lead further, Davies racing in for a second trademark try after some excellent service from Sasha Lysokon and Steve Hall. Malyan converting the effort to go 8 points up going into the interval.

Despite Rovers getting on top in the closing stages of the first half, it was Upton who started the brighter as Richie Jacques went in for his second after a sharp offload from Ben Spencer. Nathan Hurcombe converted to bring his side back within 2 points of the hosts.

The game stayed closely contested and only a failed penalty attempt kept Rovers in front as the collisions and tackle became verocious. Craige Miles and Adam Saynor leading Rovers charge down the middle. With 10 minutes remaining things looked bad for Sharlston when hooker Carl Saville was harshly dismissed for an alleged stray tackle.

Prop forward Danny Richardson came to the fore to lead Rovers out of the slump with a 20 meter drive that saw him take several defenders over the line with him to score under the posts. Andrey Zdobnikov slotted over the easy conversion.

Davies closed the afternoon with his hat-trick score minutes before the full time whistle but there was still time for Upton substitute Carl Lyon to sneak in at the death to make the score more fitting to the close contest it was, Steve Beal adding on the extras.

This weekend Rovers will be hoping to progress in the BARLA National cup in their round 2 visit to NCL side East Leeds, kick off 2pm.