Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Kippax Welfare


Sharlston Rovers

Tries : Jonathan Waddle, Ben Grundy, Sean Emblem, None
Goals : Tommy Malyan 3
  • Pennine Premier
  • Saturday 27th March 2010
  • Ref : Steve Addy

Malyans boot saves Rovers from league slip-up

Saville with slippery sign off

Saville with slippery sign off

Kippax Welfare .. 16 (4)
Sharlston Rovers .. 18 (16)

Pennine Premier League

With a few sore bodies from the midweek final victory over Westgate Rovers didnít have the fuel in the tank to put to bed a 16-4 half time lead. Allowing hosts Kippax to pull back level, it took the boot of Tommy Malyan 2 minutes from time to separate the teams and give Rovers the much needed league points.

The hosts opened the scoring with a try in the corner in the first 5 minutes on the back of sloppy defending from Rovers.

Loose Forward Jonathan Waddle went over for an equalising score and Tommy Malyan converted to take the lead.

Soon after Ben Grundy raced in on the touch side after quick hands made an overlap for the centre to finish in the corner.

Just before halftime strong running prop forward Sean Emblem smashed through the defence on one of his trademark barnstorming runs, Malyan adding the conversion to give Rovers a firm 12 point lead to build on in the second half.

In the second half Rovers seemed to never have the ball and despite several efforts by Gareth Davies to improve their buffer Kippax defended resolutely.

Around the hour mark Kippax reduced their deficit when Gavin Swinson picked the pocket of Rovers player infront of their own sticks in what looked like a 2 on 1 tackle but the converted try was allowed to stand.

Rovers hit self destruct and the restart sailed dead giving the hosts whoís head had the lifted the chance to get back in the game. A clever kick in the return set was collected by Gav Adkin who raced in for a self converted try to level the scores.

The final grandstand 10 minutes saw Rovers enjoy more opportunities with the ball with Geoff Hick and Davies going close for the winning score. With the clock ticking down Rovers went for the one pointer which was charged, but the defender was deemed offside and Malyan took the lifeline to post the winning conversion as Rovers defended the last 2 minutes for a nervy victory.

Best for Rovers were Emblem and Waddle but Physiowise man of the match went to Carl Saville who was instrumental in organising Roversí attack.

Rovers will now miss Saville for the rest of season, while the paratrooper is on manoeuvres to Kenya followed by Afghanistan.

Sharlston will need to be on their toes this week as they travel to Fartown for their league fixture with St Joesphs, supporters bus leaves clubhouse at 12.15 for a 2.30 KO. Keith Seniors men will be full of confidence with a 52 -10 home win against third place Siddal A last weekend.