Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Westgate Wolves


Sharlston Rovers

Tries : Carl Saville, Ben Grundy x2, Gareth Davies, Andy Booth
Goals : Tommy Malyan 4
  • Wakefield Unison Presidents Cup Quarter Final
  • Saturday 27th February 2010
  • Ref : John Lowery

Rovers stay on track for cup seventh heaven

Booth was back in action

Booth was back in action

Westgate Wolves .. 12 (6)
Sharlston Rovers .. 28 (16)

Wakefield ARL Unison Cup Presidents Cup

Sharlston Rovers are a step closer to their seventh consecutive Wakefield ARL Unison Presidents cup final in their quest to match Brookhouse’s 7 on the bounce cup triumphs. They make the semi final after progressing through a testing tie at Westgate Wolves where despite the atrocious conditions some good rugby was on display from both sides.

In the third meeting of the season Rovers started the brighter when Carl Saville returning from injury opened an impressive afternoon’s performance nipping over from acting half, Tommy Malyan added the easy conversion.

Some no-nonsense running from Bart Thompsen put Rovers in good position and camped on the Westgate line Maskill put Grundy through the gap to score out wide. From the restart prolific scorer Gareth Davies showed his finishing prowess collecting the kickoff and racing the length of the field beating several tacklers on the way. Malyan put the testing kick over off the post to give a comfortable 16 point buffer.

‘Gate attacking up the hill couldn’t get close enough to Rovers line to make much of threat but on the half hour the hosts were gifted a try when Rovers spilt a kick under pressure and Martin Holland was first to react to score the try, Matty Woods converted the scrumhalfs touchdown to close the half on a high.

The hosts opened up the second half with similar luck when a dropped pass in the mud gave Adam Gant, who has just been named in the BARLA South Africa Tour party, the opportunity to open his legs and race the length of the field. Woods converted the goal to lift his sides spirits only trailing by 4.

Ben Grundy regained Rovers some breathing space when he bust several tackles on the outside to complete his brace, Malyan again impressive with the boot from the touchline.

On the hour Andy Booth returning from a 14 week period watching from the sidelines with injury showed some sublime finishing to shimmy his way over the line for a returning try. Malyan again converted.

MCE Installations Man of the match for Rovers pushed close by Steve Hall, Carl Saville and Jonathan Waddle was Bart Thompsen with some ferocious defence and causing endless problems with ball in hand.

This weekend Rovers travel to Fartown for the quarter final of the Pennine Presidents cup against Huddersfield St Joesphs, kick off 2pm. A supporters coach will leave the Sharlston HQ at 12 prompt all welcome.