Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Sharlston Rovers


Keighley Albion

Tries : Lee Maskill, Chris Bingham, Gareth Davies
Goals : Matthew Bell 2
  • Pennine Premier Division
  • Saturday 16th February 2008
  • Ref : Wilf George

Rovers rescue a point with last dash score

Davies races in for point saving try

Davies races in for point saving try

In the battle for the premiership race Sharlston Rovers let off the pace by coming away with a point after hosting Keighley Albion who got in front in the second half and with only minutes remaining Rovers crossed for the equalising score.

Rovers looked to go infront moments in but Bettison fumbled the ball over the line from then on in Rovers struggled to hold possession with most of the attacking plays going to ground. In a game peppered with penalties by both side Albion elected to kick at goal, Andy Bowness opening the days scoring 5 minutes in.

The score remained for in the visitors advantage while holding out Rovers but right on the half time whistle scrum half Lee Maskill latched onto a flat pass to go through the gap, Bell adding the conversion to go into the interval 6-2 a head.

Albion opened the half in fine style with winger Simon Marsden latching onto a flowing move beating the last of the Rovers defence to bring scores level. Only minutes later Albion went ahead when Scott Bellamy raced on the inside of the ruck through a gaping hole with Bowness this time goaling to put the visitors 12-6 in front. With Albion piling on the pressure Rovers worked hard to get out of their own half but when Hall was penalised for an incorrect play of the ball under the sticks Bowness posted the easy 2 points.

In the last quarter of the game Rovers looked to get back to their usual form resulting in Dale Potter going over in the corner after backing up an Andy Fisher offload, Bell added the goal to bring Rovers within 2 points of the visitors.

Albion again with a penalty under the sticks added another 2 points from Bowness to add a little air between the scores but Rovers pushed for that all important score which after a nail biting 10 minutes close to the game came right on the whistle with Gareth Davies racing in at the corner with the overlap, Matty Bell couldn’t add the touchline conversion to win the game but Rovers with a sigh of relief rescuing a much needed league point.

Youtube Highlights