Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Castleford Lock Lane


Sharlston Rovers

Tries : Tom Wandless, Danny Glassell x2, Geoff Hick, Scott Glassell, None x2
Goals : Ian Jackson 6
  • Challenge Cup Round 1
  • Saturday 18th February 2012
  • Ground : Lock Lane
  • Ref : Scott Mikalauskas

Rovers Lock out 'Lane

Castleford Lock Lane .. 24
Sharlston Rovers .. 32

Carnegie Challenge Cup Round 1

Sharlston are now through to the second round of the challenge cup and await the draw w/c 27th Feb to see who will be the last hurdle before the semi professionals come in at the 3rd round stage.

Lock Lane who backed up 100 minutes of rugby in their preliminary round tie on Wednesday night against Elland scored 3 quick fire tries to take the lead after Sharlston looked to have taken a hold on the game at the interval.

Rovers opened the scoring when scrum half Tom Wandless intercepted a pass on his own line and showed pace to go the length of the field, Ian Jackson added the first of his 6 goals.

Lock Lane hit back on the flanks with James Cryer linking in with his centre with a break down the touchline, scrum half Danny Rowse converted the effort to equalise the score.

Rovers centre Danny Glassell forced his way over for a quick fire brace, Ian Jackson converting one of the efforts to put his side 10 point in front.

Home winger Cryer struck again for ‘lane 10 minutes before the interval but just before the half time whistle quick thinking from Geoff Hick saw him race from half way under the posts taking a quick tap and ghosting through the defenders, Jackson once again improving to take a 12 point buffer into the break.

Lock Lane came firing out of the break and 10 minute purple patch added 3 tried from Adam Garlic, Scott Horner and James Cryer rounding of a hat trick to take the lead for the first time in the game with 20 minutes remaining.

Rovers battled to get hold of ball and with 6 minutes remaining a brave decision to throw away an attempt at goal to level scores paid off when captain Scott Glassell pounced on a lovely kick from Wandless to regain the lead, Jackson converted and Rovers held a 4 point lead.

The hosts tried to reply but looked out of the gas for the last 5 minutes, Rovers ground out the result adding 2 penalty goals from Jackson in the dying minutes to take their position in the round 2 draw.

This weekend Rovers will host Clayton at home back on league business, kick off 2.30pm.