Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /storage/content/78/1010078/ on line 5 Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /storage/content/78/1010078/ on line 5 Sharlston Rovers ARLFC | Match Reports | Rovers set up Drig double with Slawit sweep
Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Sharlston Rovers


Slaithwaite Saracens

Tries : Gareth Davies, Tommy Malyan x2, Lee Maskill x2
Goals : Tommy Malyan 2
  • Pennine Presidents Cup Semi Final
  • Saturday 10th April 2010
  • Ref : Bob Ingham

Rovers set up Drig double with Slawit sweep

Sharlston Rovers .. 24 (10)
Slaithwaite Saracens .. 14 (10)

Pennine Presidents Cup Semi Final

Sharlston Rovers are through to the Pennine Presidents Cup final in the quest to make it 3 consecutive league cup wins after progressing through a tough tie against promotion winning Slaithwaite Saracens of division one.

Rovers will face old foes Drighlington in the May Day finals day at Dewsbury Rams after the Leeds based side comprehensively disposed of Keighley Albion in their respective semi final. The may day final will be the second pairing in a week for the two battling enemies where its probable that the last league game 6 days before will settle the league champions title.

Sharlston was made to work hard for their final appearance in a much anticipated game watched by around 600 supporters in glorious conditions. The Huddersfield opponents who have walked home with the league one champions mantle, fancied their chances of an upset against an unpredictable Rovers side and they couldn’t have hoped for a better start.

Five minutes into the match the visitors took the lead leaving the hosts shell shocked as winger Martin Flooks jumped the highest to collect a kick in the corner.

It didn’t take too long for Rovers to spring into action and soon regained the lead when captain Gareth Davies showed his prowess with ball in hand to cross in the corner, Tommy Malyan continuing form with the boot adding the touchline goal.

The lead was to be short lived though as Slawit put on a big play with Darren Hawyard running through a well made gap unopposed for an unconverted try.

The visitors enjoyed that lead right up to 5 minutes before the interval as Rovers couldn’t penetrate the defence despite the direct running of Sean Emblem and Steve Hall. Sharlston made sure they went in at half time all square minutes before the interval when Tommy Malyan finished a try off in the corner well but couldn’t add the goal to go in front.

From the restart the defining moment of the game came immediate as whilst defending their own line Lee Maskill pounced on a loose ball and went the length of the field to go under the posts, Malyan converting.

Minutes later Rovers improved their lead as Tommy Malyan raced in for his second of the afternoon to put his side 10 points ahead. By the hour mark stand off Lee Maskill also crossed to complete a brace of tries and Rovers looked firmly in the driving seat.

With only the last quarter to weather Rovers stepped off the gas in attack when they lost Gareth Davies with a badly dislocated elbow and defended their 14 point lead, Geoff Hick at fullback dealing with anything the visitors could throw at him.

Slawit did manage to breach the hosts defence 10 minutes from time when Hawkyard went in for his second of the game but Rovers held out for the remainder of the game to take their place in the May Day final.

Emblem and Hick impressed throughout but Steve Hall took to the RCK Groundworks man of match with yet another non stop effort. Special mention needs to be mentioned of Sharlston legend Gordie Long who once again performed superbly for his beloved Rovers.

Rovers need to keep on the pressure for the title and cant afford a slip up in league action as this weekend they travel to Halifax Irish for the last scheduled away tie of the season. A supporters coach is available leaving the clubhouse at 12.30pm prompt for a 2.30pm kick off.